Research has indicated that nearly half of all women are wearing the wrong size shoe. Many women will notice their shoes don’t fit comfortably, and this can cause painful foot conditions to gradually develop. These common ailments can include hammertoes and bunions, in addition to consistent foot pain. To determine what the correct shoe size is, it is suggested that you place your foot on top of a piece of paper, and trace it while sitting down. This is followed by outlining the tracing with a straight line. After the foot is measured, it is important that you subtract 3/16 of an inch from the measurements. This is helpful in accommodating for the small area of extra space between the straight lines and your foot. Additionally, some people use a Brannock device, which is specifically designed to measure feet, and is found in most shoe stores. If you would like more information about how to correctly measure your foot to determine the correct shoe size, please confer with a podiatrist.
Getting the right shoe size is an important part of proper foot health. Seek the assistance of one of our podiatrists from Platte River Foot and Ankle Surgeons . Our doctors will provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Getting the Right Shoe Size
There are many people who wear shoes that are the incorrect size, negatively affecting their feet and posture. Selecting the right shoes is not a difficult process, so long as you keep several things in mind when it comes to choosing the right pair.
- When visiting the shoe store, use the tools available to measure your foot.
- Be sure there is ‘wiggle room’. There should be about an inch between your toes and the tip of your shoes.
- Do not always assume you are the same size, as manufacturers run differently.
- Purchase shoes later in the day, as your feet swell as the day progresses.
- If a shoe is not comfortable, it is not suitable. Most shoes can’t be ‘broken in’, and comfort should be the ultimate goal when it comes to choosing the right pair of shoes
As our feet hold our body weight and keep us moving, it is important to treat them right. Picking the right pair of shoes can provide your feet comfort and mobility without pain.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our offices located in Hastings, Hebron, Red Cloud, Gretna, and York, NE . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.